Do you have a passion for saving the environment? Do you want to help make British Columbia and Canada as a whole, a more sustainable place to thrive in? Do you want an opportunity to build your resume while supporting a good cause? If you answered yes to these questions then consider joining the Street Legal Team at West Coast Environmental Law.
At West Coast, we believe that the best way to safeguard the environment is to have it protected by law. We provide legal information, guidance and support to individuals, communities and organizations seeking to protect nature, communities and the climate.
This is an ongoing opportunity for part-time volunteers online and/or at events in Metro Vancouver.
As a member of the Street Legal Team you will play an important role in our outreach activities, conveying pressing environmental issues to the public at tabling events throughout Vancouver and surrounding communities.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions on public gatherings, most events have been cancelled or postponed to a later date. However, you will still be able to participate in volunteering activities digitally. Environmental activism is moving online during these unprecedented times, and West Coast Environmental Law will do our best to offer digital opportunities for volunteers to engage in.
You will have the opportunity to expand your knowledge on current environmental issues and gain significant experience in digital engagement, and when deemed safe to do so, attend environmental events, festivals, farmer's markets and other exciting community events.
- Keen to learn about West Coast's environmental law work, including:
- Strengthening Canada’s environmental laws
- Marine protection
- Climate law and fossil fuel industry accountability
- Tar sands pipelines and tankers
- Environmental legal aid
- Strong verbal communicator
- Familiar with social media and other digital platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Zoom
- Ability to take initiative and direction as required
What’s in it for you?
- Expand your knowledge on important environmental issues
- Gain experience in public outreach and digital engagement
- Earn volunteer hours and personalized letter of reference on request
Related education and previous outreach experience is a bonus, but as long as you are passionate about environmental protection and are interested in learning about current environmental issues, all are welcome!
Please email us and submit a brief paragraph outlining your related experience along with your availability to Angela at firstname.lastname@example.org