Thank you for your interest in volunteering with West Coast Environmental Law!
- Have a passion for saving the environment
- Want to help make British Columbia, and Canada as a whole, a more sustainable place to thrive in
- Hope to acquire new skills and resume experience while supporting a good cause
Consider volunteering with our Street Legal Team and join us in our mission to safeguard the environment using the law.
Volunteering during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Street Legal Team volunteers support our digital and in-person outreach activities, conveying pressing environmental issues to the public throughout Vancouver and surrounding communities. Due to COVID-19 restrictions on public gatherings, most in-person events have been cancelled or postponed to a later date.
As West Coast switches to more virtual forms of engagement, our Street Legal team will play an important role in amplifying our work through digital volunteer opportunities and activities. For example, some of the digital opportunities our volunteers assisted with in 2020 included "Build BC Back Better" letter-writing sessions and non-partisan get-out-the-vote initiatives during the provincial election.
As a Street Legal Team volunteer, you will have the opportunity to expand your knowledge on current environmental issues and gain experience in digital engagement, and when deemed safe to do so, you’ll have opportunities to work with us at environmental events, festivals, farmer's markets, and other exciting community events.
This is an ongoing opportunity for part-time volunteers online, or at events in Metro Vancouver when possible. Volunteers will be notified of opportunities as they arise.
- Keen to learn about West Coast's environmental law work, including:
- Strengthening Canada’s environmental laws
- Marine protection
- Climate law and fossil fuel industry accountability
- Tar sands pipelines and tankers
- Indigenous law for land, air and water
- Environmental legal aid
- Strong verbal communicator
- Familiar with social media and other digital platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Zoom
- Ability to take initiative and direction as required
What’s in it for you?
- Expand your knowledge on important environmental, legal and policy issues
- Gain experience in public outreach and digital engagement
- Earn volunteer hours and personalized letter of reference on request
Related education and previous outreach experience is a bonus, but as long as you are passionate about environmental protection and are interested in learning about current environmental issues, all are welcome!
Please email us and submit a brief paragraph outlining your related experience along with your availability to Hanna at email@example.com.