This is an opening for a summer position (up to 30 hours/week), working remotely and/or at our Vancouver office (subject to public health guidelines). The position is a 12-week contract starting early June 2021.
At West Coast Environmental Law we believe that the best way to safeguard the environment is to have it protected by law. Through law, British Columbia’s species and ecosystems will be protected, communities will have a democratic voice in their environment, social, and economic well-being, and we will make the essential shift to greater sustainability. We provide legal information, guidance and support to individuals, communities and organizations seeking to protect their water, lands and air.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Community Outreach Coordinator will engage volunteers and members of the public in West Coast Environmental Law’s work to protect the environment through law and help the public take action for the environment using our information, resources and tools.
- Developing a summer community outreach and engagement plan to grow the community of support of citizens who care about and want to protect the environment.
- Brainstorming and implementing creative ideas for digital engagement and other online outreach alternatives, given the current restrictions on public events and in-person gatherings.
- Developing a plan and proposed activities specifically aimed at engaging youth in West Coast’s work.
- Working with legal and program staff to develop, edit and update print/digital materials to support public education on environmental law issues.
- Coordinating the recruitment, training and scheduling of the “Street Legal Team” of volunteers, as needed to support digital and/or in-person engagement activities (public health direction permitting).
- Working to increase the effectiveness of West Coast Environmental Law’s social media and other communications tools and supporting West Coast’s program areas by updating supporter contact lists, organizing content libraries and tracking social media and website engagement.
- Assisting with the coordination of digital events such as livestreams and webinars.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Minimum one year of university or college, with preference for enrollment in a communications, public relations or marketing program
- Volunteer and/or work experience related to environmental or climate issues an asset
- Well-developed verbal, written, and organizational skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Event coordination experience an asset
- Good interpersonal skills, sensitivity, tact and sense of humour
- Computer skills, including ability with Microsoft Office
- Strong knowledge and familiarity with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Experience with digital media tools including Zoom, Google Analytics, Facebook Ads an asset
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of staff, volunteers and supporters
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work as a team in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Creativity, imagination and ability to take initiative
- Strong personal commitment to the environment
NOTE - This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program. The salary for this position based on Vancouver’s current living wage ($19.50/hour).
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by Monday, May 17, 2021 and quote “Summer Community Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line.
West Coast Environmental Law aims to promote equity and challenge discrimination. We recognize the value of diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, nationalities, gender identities, sexual orientations, abilities, religions and beliefs.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.