This is an opening for a summer position (up to 30 hours/week), working remotely in Metro Vancouver and/or at our Vancouver office, subject to public health guidelines. The position is a 14-week contract starting in May 2022.
West Coast Environmental Law harnesses the power of law to solve complex environmental challenges. For over 45 years we have provided legal information, advice and support to British Columbians in every corner of the province seeking to protect their water, lands and air, while working at the provincial and national scale for systemic legal solutions to environmental problems.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Community Outreach Coordinator will engage volunteers and members of the public in West Coast Environmental Law’s work to protect the environment through law and help community members take action for the environment using our information, resources and tools.
- Develop a summer community outreach and engagement plan to grow the community of support among those who care about and want to protect the environment through law.
- Plan and implement digital outreach and engagement initiatives, such as webinars, virtual discussions, and online volunteer opportunities, in collaboration with the communications team and other West Coast staff.
- Organize and help expand community engagement opportunities at inperson public events in Metro Vancouver (as permitted under public health guidelines) – including festivals, farmers markets, car free days, environment-focused events, and other opportunities as identified.
- Work with legal and program staff to develop, edit and update written materials and handouts to be distributed online and/or at public events, to support public education on environmental law issues.
- Coordinate the recruitment, training and scheduling of volunteers on our “Street Legal Team”, who will support our work to educate and engage members of the public in efforts to protect the environment through law.
- Provide input and collaborate with the communications team to increase the effectiveness of West Coast Environmental Law’s social media, publications and other communications tools.
- Support West Coast’s programs by updating supporter contact lists, organizing content libraries and tracking social media and website engagement.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Minimum one year of university or college, with preference for enrollment in a communications, public relations or marketing program.
- Volunteer and/or work experience related to environmental or climate issues an asset.
- Well-developed verbal, written, and organizational skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Event coordination experience an asset
- Good interpersonal skills, sensitivity, tact and sense of humour
- Computer skills, including ability with Microsoft Office
- Strong knowledge and familiarity with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Experience with digital media tools including Zoom, Google Analytics, Facebook Ads an asset
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of staff, volunteers and supporters
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work as a team in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Creativity, imagination and ability to take initiative
- Strong personal commitment to the environment
NOTE - This position is contingent on funding through the Canada Summer Jobs program. The salary for this position is based on Vancouver’s current living wage ($20.52/hour).
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
We welcome your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 29, 2022. Please quote “Summer Community Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line.
West Coast Environmental Law aims to promote equity and challenge discrimination. We recognize the value of diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, nationalities, gender identities, sexual orientations, abilities, religions and beliefs.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.