West Coast Environmental Law has an exciting opportunity for an entry level role in our small but dynamic Development Team. We have an immediate opening for a full-time staff position (35 hours/week) at our Vancouver office.
Application Deadline: Rolling interviews until position is filled
West Coast Environmental Law harnesses the power of law to solve complex environmental challenges. Our team works to transform environmental decision-making and strengthen legal protection for the environment through collaborative legal strategies that bridge Indigenous and Canadian law. For over 45 years we have provided legal information, advice and support to British Columbians in every corner of the province seeking to protect their water, lands and air, while working at the provincial and national level for systemic legal solutions to environmental problems.
Reporting to the Director of Development, as the Donor Relations Coordinator (DRC), you will provide a donor-centered experience for all supporters of West Coast Environmental Law. With a strong personal commitment to the environment, you will have excellent administrative and organizational skills, attention to detail, and an ability to handle concurrent projects and deadlines, with a service-oriented approach. This position supports successful fundraising strategies with the development team by receipting gifts and sending thank you letters; completing financial reconciliation, generating reports, managing expenses, and supporting the areas of annual, major, and planned giving. This is an entry level position with opportunities for professional development and growth in key interest areas within the team.
Donor Centered Service:
- Serve as the front-line contact for donors and prospects by providing prompt, friendly responses to donor inquiries and requests, seeking timely resolution
- Coordinate all donor receipts, process all paperwork relating to donations, donor stewardship (including thank you letters/notes) and retention, according to organizational protocols and CRA requirements
- Support donation appeal mail outs, email appeals and coordinate twice a year donor newsletter
Donor & Funder Relations:
- Ensure development processes are recorded consistently, efficiently and of the highest standard
- Maintain the integrity of donor and prospect records, both electronic and hard copy, with exceptional attention to detail
- Support the Development Director in relation to grant and other proposals, including tracking proposals, reporting deadlines and assisting with associated administration
- Support the Development Officer and Development Director through identification of mid-level, major gift and legacy giving prospects, supporting stewardship correspondence drafts and performing prospect research as requested
- Support the team in coordinating donor events
- Recruit, coordinate and manage Development volunteers
- Research and identify foundations, employee groups, service clubs and other potential funding sources as requested
- Reconcile monthly fundraising revenue between the accounting and development departments; provide detailed monthly fundraising activity reports to the Director
- Perform data entry and maintain up-to-date donor information in Salesforce database, including contact info, change of address, mail contact frequency, record creation and updates
- Build complex database queries/reports to analyze data and meet specific requested development needs
- Liaise regularly with the Digital Strategy Coordinator to ensure smooth operation of database systems
- Provide support in other development and organizational activities as requested
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills; proactive with natural ability to problem solve and/or develop solutions and improve processes; demonstrated strategic thinking and enjoys taking initiative
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize, and meet deadlines in an environment with varied needs and objectives
- Excellent computer skills including advanced ability with databases and Microsoft Office; familiarity with Salesforce database an asset; experience with Adobe InDesign an asset
- Application of a well managed database and understanding of its vital role in achieving fundraising success
- Knowledge of donor-centred philanthropy and fundraising best practices
- Impeccable and detailed keeping of donor records
- Knowledge of CRA legislation as it relates to charitable receipting
- Basic understanding of financial accountability best practices and reconciliation processes
- Ability to work with a high degree of discretion and confidentiality with regard to donor and other fundraising information
- Well-developed verbal, written, and organizational skills
- Consultative, facilitative and collaborative; with a sense of humour
- Ability to take and follow instructions and ask questions when necessary
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of staff, volunteers and supporters
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Remuneration: Salary range is $48,000 - $58,000 per annum commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive vacation and benefits package including pension (RRSP contribution). We welcome your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote Donor Relations Coordinator in the subject line.
At West Coast Environmental Law, we aim to promote equity and challenge discrimination. We recognize the value of diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, nationalities, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions and beliefs.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.