This is an immediate opening for a full-time staff position (35 hours/week) at our Vancouver office.
West Coast Environmental Law harnesses the power of law to solve complex environmental challenges. For almost 50 years we have provided legal information, advice and support to British Columbians in every corner of the province seeking to protect their water, lands and air, while working at the provincial and national scale for systemic legal solutions to environmental problems.
Reporting to the Director of Development, as the Development Coordinator you will be an integral part of the success of the Development team. With a strong personal commitment to the environment, you have excellent administrative and organizational skills, attention to detail, and an ability to handle concurrent projects and deadlines, with a service-oriented approach. The Development Coordinator will have a proven track record of sound decision-making and bring a solutions-oriented, can-do attitude and the skills needed to coordinate the day-to-day operations and success of a small but dynamic development department.
- Administer annual and monthly giving portfolios including all aspects of donations processing and receipting, donor stewardship and retention, according to organizational protocols and CRA requirements
- Coordinate donation appeal mail outs, email appeals and quarterly donor newsletter
- Serve as the front line contact for donors and prospects by providing extraordinary customer service
- Coordinate Law Foundation and other grant applications and reports
- Support Leadership Giving Officer and Development Director through identification of mid-level, major gift and legacy giving prospects, stewardship correspondence drafts and performing prospect research as needed
- Support the Development Director in relation to grant and other proposals, including tracking proposals, reporting deadlines and assist with associated administration
- Ensure development processes are consistent, efficient and of the highest standard, and are recorded
- Maintain integrity of donor and prospect records, both electronic and hard copy, with exceptional attention to detail
- Perform regular tests to ensure ongoing data integrity
- Reconcile monthly the fundraising revenue between the accounting and development departments; provide detailed monthly fundraising activity reports to the Director
- Build complex database queries/reports to meet specific requested development needs
- Segment data to review and analyze patterns of giving and identify opportunities to increase revenue
- Recruit, coordinate and manage Development volunteers
- Coordinate donor events
- Research and identify foundations, employee groups, service clubs and other potential funding sources as requested
- Liaise regularly with the Digital Strategy Coordinator to ensure smooth operation of database systems
- Provide support in other development activities as needed
Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills; proactive with natural ability to problem solve and/or develop solutions and improve processes; demonstrated strategic thinking and enjoys taking initiative
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize, and meet deadlines in an environment with varied needs and objectives
- Faultless accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills including advanced ability with databases and Microsoft Office; familiarity with Salesforce database an asset; experience with Adobe InDesign an asset
- Application of a well managed database and understanding of its vital role in achieving fundraising success
- Donor-centred philanthropy and fundraising best practises
- Impeccable and detailed keeping of donor records
- Knowledge of CRA legislation as it relates to charitable receipting
- Basic understanding of financial accountability best practices and reconciliation processes
- Ability to work with a high degree of discretion and confidentiality with regard to donor and other fundraising information
- Well-developed verbal, written, and organizational skills
- Consultative, facilitative and collaborative; with a sense of humour
- Demonstrated ability to take and follow instructions and ask questions when necessary
- Event coordination experience an asset
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of staff, volunteers and supporters
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Education and Experience
- Minimum two years’ work experience in an administrative capacity at a non-profit organization with knowledge of fundraising best practices and database management
- Knowledge acquired through completion of a certificate or diploma program in fundraising management, communications and/or marketing, administration management, business administration, or combination
- Or equivalent combination of training and experience
Salary range is $44,000 - $53,000 per year commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive benefits package including pension (RRSP contribution) after one year of employment.
We welcome your cover letter and resume by April 5, 2021. Please quote Development Coordinator in the subject line and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be conducting rolling interviews for this position.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
At West Coast Environmental Law, we aim to promote equity and challenge discrimination. We recognize the value of diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, nationalities, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions and beliefs. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.