Accountability and Security
West Coast Environmental Law Research Foundation is respected and trusted across British Columbia as BC’s legal champion for the environment.
We do not accept government grants so that we can advocate on behalf of British Columbians for effective environmental policies and laws and not be bound by government interests.
We protect your identity and privacy. We do not trade, rent or otherwise share any donor information of any kind, including e-mail addresses. And should you choose, we make it easy for you to opt out of any future communication from us.
Our donation pages are secured for your protection.
The Donor Bill of Rights
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life of everyone in the community. To ensure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the nonprofit organizations and causes they are asked to support, West Coast Environmental Law Research Foundation declares that all of our donors have the following rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
The Donor Bill of Rights was created by the American Association of Fund Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE). It has been endorsed by numerous organizations.
West Coast Environmental Law Research Foundation is a registered Canadian charity BN/Reg #11929 2415 RR0001.