Summer Community Outreach Coordinator
This is an opening for a summer position (up to 30 hours/week) at our Vancouver office. The position is a 14-week contract starting on or after May 8, 2017.
Application Deadline: April 28, 2017
At West Coast Environmental Law we believe that the best way to safeguard the environment is to have it protected by law. Through law, British Columbia’s species and ecosystems will be protected, communities will have a democratic voice in their environment, social, and economic well-being, and we will make the essential shift to greater sustainability. We provide legal information, guidance and support to individuals, communities and organizations seeking to protect their water, lands and air.
Reporting to the Senior Communications and Engagement Specialist, as the Community Outreach Coordinator you will engage the public in West Coast Environmental Law’s work to protect the environment through law and help the public take action for the environment with West Coast’s action tools.
- Developing a summer community outreach and engagement plan to grow the community of support of citizens who care about and want to protect the environment.
- Organizing community tabling opportunities at Metro Vancouver events including music festivals, farmers markets, car free days, Vancouver Pride, Khatsahlano Street Party, Lonsdale Quay Night Market and other opportunities as identified.
- Coordinating the training and scheduling of the “Street Legal Team” of volunteers who will be out in the community at our tables at the above-mentioned events, using these opportunities to engage and grow the community of support of citizens who care about and want to protect the environment.
- Working to increase the effectiveness of West Coast Environmental Law’s social media and other communications tools and supporting West Coast’s program areas by updating media contact lists, organizing content libraries and tracking social media and website engagement.
- Assisting with the coordination of a potential dialogue event to engage thought-leaders and decision-makers in achieving legal solutions that protect the environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Minimum one year of university or college, with preference for enrollment in a communications, public relations or marketing program.
- Well-developed verbal, written, and organizational skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Event coordination experience an asset
- Good interpersonal skills, sensitivity, tact and sense of humour
- Computer skills including ability with Microsoft Office (experience with Salesforce or other database as well as Adobe Suite an asset)
- Experience with digital media tools including Google AdWords, Google Analytics, Facebook Ads an asset
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of staff, volunteers and supporters
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work as a team in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Creativity, imagination and ability to take initiative a definite asset
- Strong personal commitment to the environment
- Valid driver’s license
NOTE - This position is dependent on receiving funding through the Canada Summer Jobs program.
The salary for this position is $12/hour. To be eligible, students must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
We welcome your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 28, 2017. Please quote Summer Community Outreach Coordinator position in the subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.